Louis (Louie) Armstrong Widdowson (1997-2013)

Louie was a remarkably interesting cat. He had that gravelly voice like Satchmo and a great personality when he was feeling well. Sadly, it took me a long time to figure out what was wrong with him. His first years and his last two were pretty neat although he suffered from diabetes due to me letting him get overweight. There are many things about Louie to remember;

1. He used to carry a little stuffed bear around with him and when he was a kitten he would tilt over on his front legs with his hind legs in the air it was so much heavier than him.

2. He enjoyed a drip in our bathtub faucet at our other home and years after the drip had been fixed he would sit underneath the faucet expectantly. Even in our new home after 2006 when he got into the bathroom he would sit under the faucet and wait for the drip that never came showing cats have a long-term memory.

3. He meowed with, as I said, a gravel voice that sounded more like Bill the Cat of Bloomsbury fame than a typical house cat. AHHH! like a buzzer, he sounded.

4. He believed his tail was chasing him and mutilated it until I had to pay for surgery to have the end removed.

5. Meekah used to annoy him when she would run around burning off her energy. He would lower his head in disgust and walk over to her and smack her, then walk back to where he was sitting and sit down and glare at her like he was saying, "Get a grip, girl!"

6. There are so many other things. He was so affectionate and loving toward me. I also will never forget, when I worked upstairs, his racing me up the stairs to jump in my office chair and spin around with his head held high enjoying the rush. I miss him very much.

Here he is, as a young cat in the late 1990's.


And then, older, toward the end of his life at work with me in my basement office;


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meekah

Whitney